guix-devel

Re: Shepherd does not recycle zombie processes

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Shepherd does not recycle zombie processes
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2016 23:09:12 +0100

Hi Dale,

Dale Mellor <address@hidden> skribis:

> I'm running shepherd stand-alone in a Debian system.  But I am seeing
> zombie processes which have been kicked off by shepherd, and they do not
> get re-spawned.

This may have to do with unreliable signal handling (SIGCHLD in this
case) in Guile:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2013-07/msg00004.html

shepherd.scm has a hack to mostly work around it, but it’s not always
sufficient as evidenced by occasionally failures of the respawn test:

  http://bugs.gnu.org/23811

Does it frequently fail to respawn?

Ludo’.