guix-devel

Re: Package page

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Package page
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 10:03:04 +0000

Adam Pribyl <address@hidden> writes:

> The GuixSD package page
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/
>
> is getting somewhat large to load. It is also bit short sighted to
> list all packages on one html page. Any plans what to with this?
>
> Adam Pribyl

Yes, it's not ideal. We had some discussions about this in the
past, but I think the preference is to deploy an improved listing
instead of no listing at all. I don't remember what the current
status of the alternative search is,someone else can fill this
in.

Personally I'm in favor of erasing the /packages page (until we
have an improved alternative), no one likes pages which kill your
browser process - which happens with some current browsers when
you visit our packages page. Better have no listing than to have
a listing which leaves a bad impressions by loading long and
eventually make your browser crash.