guix-devel

Re: Package page

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Package page
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 08:42:20 +0100

On 11/11/2016 06:41 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Adam Pribyl <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> The GuixSD package page
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/
>>
>> is getting somewhat large to load. It is also bit short sighted to
>> list all packages on one html page. Any plans what to with this?
>
> It’s a shame indeed and we should definitely add JS code to browse it.
> There’s already code for that in Guix-Web¹ that could be used as a
> starting point (the web site’s code is in guix-artwork.git²).

Just my 2¢ as a user who does not yet have the time to contribute: I
typically browse the Web with JavaScript disabled and don’t think
JavaScript should be required without a good reason. Currently the
packages page loads somewhat slowly in Netsurf and GNU Icecat for me
(with and without JS) but I can search the packages with Ctrl+F. Please
at least retain some sort of search functionality for non-JS users
(server-side search through a form?).

Regards,
Florian