guix-devel

Why is IceCat now only 'supported' on Intel-systems?

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Why is IceCat now only 'supported' on Intel-systems?
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 21:39:40 -0500

According to:

  https://hydra.gnu.org/eval/109381?filter=icecat#tabs-removed

the jobs for icecat on armhf and mips64el were removed in evaluation
109381 (corresponding to commit 663d5b5), but were present in the
previous evaluation 109380 (commit cd65d60).

Can anyone tell me why this happened?

I guess that the 'supported-systems' field of some package that 'icecat'
depends on was recently changed, but I was unable to find anything
obvious by grepping through the output of "git log -p".

Debian includes Firefox packages for 'armhf' and 'mips64el', so it's
obviously possible to get it working on those platforms.

I find it disturbing that we seem to be in the habit of removing
non-Intel systems from 'supported-systems' fields in packages that other
distros are able to get working on non-Intel.  These are bugs to be
fixed, not swept under the rug to get them out of sight.

      Mark