guix-devel

Re: i686 badly broken from premature 'python-build-system' merge

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: i686 badly broken from premature 'python-build-system' merge
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 12:52:18 -0500

Hi Ludovic,

> Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> yasm was apparently broken on i686 on the 'python-build-system' branch,
>> which was then subsequently merged into master.  As a result, many
>> important package are dependency-failures on i686, including all
>> gstreamer plugins, and thus all media players and web browsers.

> $ ./pre-inst-env guix build yasm -s i686-linux -K
> […]
> /gnu/store/7xv1zw247h3rlj8p6l95dz7frfypavcb-yasm-1.3.0
> $ git describe
> v0.11.0-3140-gd0b9c34

Interesting.  Hydra tried to build it twice, and failed both times:

  https://hydra.gnu.org/build/1655354#tabs-buildsteps

I have saved logs from three build failures of 'yasm' on i686.  The
first one is from March 2016, and the other two are very recent.  There
are two tests that fail intermittently:

  FAIL: modules/objfmts/elf/tests/x32/elf_x32_test.sh
  FAIL: modules/objfmts/elf/tests/amd64/elf_amd64_test.sh

I also have saved logs from 'yasm' build failures on armhf and x86_64.
On armhf, the following test failed in July 2016:

  FAIL: modules/objfmts/elf/tests/gasx32/elf_gasx32_test.sh

and on x86_64, the following test failed in February 2016:

  FAIL: modules/objfmts/elf/tests/amd64/elf_amd64_test.sh

I restarted it again.  Maybe it will work on the third try.

> But now that I read Tobias message, I realize probably nasm is at fault,
> not yasm.

No.  Hydra indicates that 'yasm' is the reason for the important
dependency failures on i686:

  https://hydra.gnu.org/eval/109382?compare=109380#tabs-now-fail

Tobias may be right that 'nasm' is at fault for the non-Intel IceCat
jobs being removed, but that's apparently a different issue.

Note that there are also many new dependency failures on x86_64 due to a
build failure of 'gdm' on Hydra.  I guess that's yet another
non-deterministic build failure, since I managed to update my x86_64
system locally.

     Thanks,
       Mark