guix-devel

Re: Preparing mass-packaging of 338 KDE application - how to do?

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: Preparing mass-packaging of 338 KDE application - how to do?
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 20:59:24 +0100

Hi,

the number of packages increased to 338(!).

The first list of 170 contained "only" the applications listed at
http://kde.org/applications. In addition there are ca. 90 packages in
download.kde.org/stable/applications and another ca. 90 in
download.kde.org/stable/ which are not listed at
http://kde.org/applications. Among these are important things like
plasma (which AFAIK is the desktop).

Given this huge number of package, we should agree on
a) into which .scm we want to split then
b) a proceeding.
c) volunteers

a) into which .scm we want to split then

The packages in my list have categories like Development, Education,
Office, Plasma, System, mostly following the categories in
http://kde.org/applications (plus one or two I created).

Guix already has kde.scm, containing a few "unsorted" packages, not even
listed are kde.org/applications. So using a file "kde-application.scm"
would not give a major benefit compared to using "kde.scm" IMHO. (The
framework is in kde-framework.scm already).

Another idea (which I'd prefer) is to put the packages into files
following the categories above, e.g. "kde-development.scm",
"kde-edu.scm", etc. It's up to the packager to select where to put the
"unlisted" stuff.

b) proceeding

I first had the idea to avoid flooding guix-commit with 340 messages by
pushing *one* commit to "wip-kde-applications". Whoever is working on a
package would copy-and-pastes the relevant part from this branch into
his/her working-copy. But when rethinking this, this is to complicated
and may distract people from working on packages.

So I'd follow iyzsong's suggestion and prepare 340 commits for
wip-kde-applications, where others can cherry-pick from and amending
with "git commit --amend --reset-author" (or using git gui). The commits
I prepare would already contain an appropriate draft message.

Additionally I'd putt a lot of information into each package, e.g.
typical URLs where to look for updates, etc.

c) Volunteers
> Regarding synopses and descriptions, please make sure those that are
> imported are generally in line with what we do (most likely they are).
>
> Congrats on the mass import!  :-)

Thanks for the congrats, but I'm only preparing the stuff. I'm not going
to import all these packages :-)

Does anybody have contact to KDE, KDE developers or Debian maintainers
we can ask for supporting our efforts? Esp. for the desktop services it
would be great if somebody already knowing the software could assist.
May we (Ludo?) could ask the KDE e.V. for assistance?

How does this sound? Comments are welcome!

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | address@hidden               |