guix-devel

Re: How to deal with Latin1 filenames?

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: How to deal with Latin1 filenames?
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 09:01:04 +0100

Marius Bakke <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Guix,
>
> I'm trying to package the Norwegian Bokmål Aspell dictionary, which
> contains a 'bokmål.alias' in the source archive. This causes 'readdir'
> to throw a decoding-error.

I'm sorry, the file name is actually ISO-8859-1 encoded. I've updated
the subject. From what I understand Guile should be able to handle
unicode file names just fine.

The easiest fix is probably to make the file name unicode upstream, but
it would be nice to know a workaround. I've tried overriding the
'install-locale' phase to set various iso-8859-1 locales instead of the
default "en_US.utf-8", but getting "invalid argument" on everything.

Are there any Latin1 locales available in the build environment, and
would setting it make any difference?