guix-devel

Re: Why don't we have "Guix channels"?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Why don't we have "Guix channels"?
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 15:14:00 +0100

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 11:35:39PM -0800, Chris Marusich wrote:
>> Apologies for the self-reply, but I wanted to point out that it seems
>> "channels" were actually mentioned here as a possible future direction
>> for "guix pull":
>>
>> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22629
>>
>> Still, I'm curious to hear what others think about it.
>
> Guix channels is high on our list of priorities. So far, no one has
> found time to work on it properly.

Indeed.

We need to work on the next “guix pull” once 0.12 is out, and “channels”
are one of the things.

Guix is different from Nix{,pkgs} here in that there’s no “Guixpkgs”:
everything works together, and we upgrade everything in lockstep.  That
way we make sure packages rely on features that the (guix …) modules
support.

Ludo’.