guix-devel

NetworkManager doesn't "Connect automatically"

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: NetworkManager doesn't "Connect automatically"
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 22:51:13 -0800

Hi,

I'm trying to get NetworkManager working in GuixSD [1].  I've got it
working well enough so that I can manually connect to my wireless
network, which is great!  However, I've noticed that even when I've
checked the "Connect automatically" check-box [2], NetworkManager
doesn't automatically connect to my wireless network.  I expected it to
automatically connect.

I'd be very grateful if you could please help me figure out why
NetworkManager isn't automatically connecting.  This is the last issue
stopping the Guix project from using NetworkManager as the default
network management application in GuixSD.  I'm not subscribed to the
address@hidden email list, so please include me
explicitly when replying so that I'm sure to get your message.

I've done some investigation, but I can't figure out how to
NetworkManager automatically connect to my wireless network.  Here's
what I know:

* Even when I restart my computer, NetworkManager doesn't automatically
  connect.  This is true even though NetworkManager is running, and even
  though the "Connect automatically" check-box remains checked.

* The only suspicious message emitted by NetworkManager appears to be
  this one, which seems unrelated:

    Dec 12 21:22:05 localhost NetworkManager[348]: <warn>
    [1481606525.8773] error poking ModemManager:
    GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
    org.freedesktop.ModemManager1 was not provided by any .service files

* I tried running NetworkManager with the "--debug" option, and I saw a
  lot of messages, but nothing jumped out at me (I'm not a
  NetworkManager developer though, so I'm not sure what constitutes
  normal or abnormal output).

* The "auto connect" setting for my wireless network is definitely being
  saved correctly.  I know this because I've observed messages from
  NetworkManager saying that it successfully saved the settings. In
  addition, when I invoke 'nmcli -f all c show', my wireless network is
  listed with a "yes" in the "AUTOCONNECT" column.

* If I check the "Make available to other users" check-box, then
  NetworkManager DOES automatically connect to my wireless network.
  However, my understanding is that this is only a workaround, and that
  in fact NetworkManager should automatically connect when "Connect
  automatically" is checked and "Make available to other users" is not
  checked.  Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I've peeked at the NetworkManager code, but I don't have a lot of
experience with GNOME programs, so I was a little lost.  Hopefully with
your guidance, I can figure out what the problem is and fix it.

Here's information about my system; please let me know if you need more:

* NetworkManager version: 1.4.2.

* Linux version: Linux-Libre 4.8.12.

* GNOME version: The GNOME Control Center reports "3.0" (under "Details"
  in the System section), and the gnome-shell I'm using is GNOME Shell
  3.20.4.

* Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
  (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

* Driver: ath9k, srcversion 9A67368256E430AA90B3557.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

[2] See attached screenshot.  This checkbox is in the "Identity" section
of my network's settings, as viewed via the "Networking" application in
the GNOME Control Center).

--
Chris