guix-devel

Re: Emacs-Guix released outside from Guix

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Emacs-Guix released outside from Guix
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 12:13:52 +0300

I have committed 'emacs-guix' package, so after "guix pull" or if you
use the git checkout, you may try it with:

  guix package -i emacs-guix

Just make sure it has a priority over the elisp code from Guix.
"M-x list-load-path-shadows" should help you to figure it out.

Now a bit about the changes.

1. At first, there are 2 new commands:

- M-x guix-help

  I think it may be the most useful command as it shows a summary of all
  the rest available commands.

- M-x guix-profiles

  It displays a list of your Guix profiles.  It's probably not very
  useful if you have a single profile, but if you manage multiple
  profiles, it can be really helpful (well, it's my favourite command as
  I use several profiles).  To add more profiles, set 'guix-profiles'
  variable.

  In this list you can display packages/generations with "P"/"G" keys.
  See also the manual entry: (info "(emacs-guix) Profiles")

2. Secondly, you may be surprised that RET does not display packages
anymore in a list of generations (M-x guix-generations) or licenses (M-x
guix-licenses).  Now "P" key can be used anywhere (where appropriate,
i.e. in a list of profiles, generations, licenses or locations) to
display packages.

3. Also I should mention that 'guix-devel-mode' and
'guix-build-log-minor-mode' are not enabled in scheme/shell buffers by
default.  If you still wish to have them enabled, use:

  (add-hook 'scheme-mode-hook 'guix-devel-mode)
  (add-hook 'shell-mode-hook 'guix-build-log-minor-mode)

in your emacs config.

4. The rest changes are either visible or internal or not important.
You may look at NEWS file for more or less the full list of changes:
<https://notabug.org/alezost/emacs-guix/raw/master/NEWS>.

Thanks for reading this far :-)

--
Alex