guix-devel

Re: NetworkManager doesn't "Connect automatically"

From: Thomas Haller
Subject: Re: NetworkManager doesn't "Connect automatically"
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 12:45:11 +0100

On Sat, 2016-12-17 at 01:51 -0800, Chris Marusich wrote:
> Thomas Haller <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 2016-12-14 at 01:38 -0800, Chris Marusich wrote:
> > > Hi Thomas,
> > >
> > > Thank you for the quick response!

> > > Yes, I'm building it from source [1].  It looks like we might
> > > need to
> > > adjust the way we build it to enable session-tracking, like
> > > you've
> > > suggested.  Am I correct in understanding that I should only need
> > > pass the option "--with-systemd-logind=yes" to the configure
> > > script
> > > enable session tracking via systemd-logind?  Is anything else
> > > required?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > No, that should be enough.
> >
> > Possibly it was already enabled before, detected automatically?
> >
> > Thomas
>
> OK.  Thank you for confirming my understanding.
>
> In GuixSD, we actually use elogind [1] instead of systemd for session
> tracking.  This requires us to patch the NetworkManager source to use
> elogind instead of systemd libraries.  For example, we do this sort
> of
> patching successfully when packaging polkit [2].
>
> I tried the same thing with NetworkManager [3], but it didn't quite
> work
> out.  There are a lot of references to systemd in NetworkManager, and
> think I'm just not familiar enough with NetworkManager, systemd, or
> elogind to know for sure what needs to be patched to trick
> NetworkManager into using elogind instead of systemd for session
> management.  For now, we've committed the package definition as-is,
> but
> until somebody figures out exactly how to patch it to work with
> elogind,
> users must use the previously mentioned work-around (make the
> connection
> available to all users) if they want to enable automatic connection.

Hi,

There are very little dependencies of NetworkManager to systemd. Note
that the src/systemd directory contains a self-contained copy of
systemd sources. That is, you don't need an systemd dependency for
those.

Regarding session management, you'd only have to patch
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/src/nm-session-monitor.c?id=fa15543179aa8ca8e082267121e7df4a131bf642
That seems doable.

Thomas