guix-devel

Re: Icecat crash

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Icecat crash
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2016 21:15:19 -0500

On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 05:47:33PM -0800, Chris Marusich wrote:
> Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> writes:
> > so I've finally found a 100% reproducible way to crash icecat.
> > Previously it has been sporadic and not reproducible.
> >
> > Try going to this site in a new icecat (guix master) instance:
> >
> > http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/12/this-low-cost-device-may-be-the-worlds-best-hope-against-account-takeovers/
> >
> > Scroll down. It will crash. Every time.
>
> This doesn't crash for me.  Note that I have applied the "fix" for the
> previously observed "crashiness", as described here - perhaps that is
> why it doesn't crash for me:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2016-11/msg00008.html

Unfortunately for debugging purposes, this doesn't crash Icecat for me
either. I'm still using the Cairo rendering backend.

It's difficult to use a site like this as a reproducer, since every user
will get totally different content via the advertisements.

For the record, it also does not crash my Debian Firefox 45.5.1, which
uses uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger to block 1 and 9 domains,
respectively.

If you can still reproduce the crash, I think it's worth it to save the
entire web page, ads included, and share that if you're satisfied
there's no sensitive data included.