guix-devel

Re: Graphical Installer - Call for Testing.

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Graphical Installer - Call for Testing.
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 19:52:46 +0100

On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 07:54:36AM -0800, address@hidden wrote:

     I just wanted to say I hope this isn't going to be the only install option
in
     the future.

That is not for me to say, but FWIW I agree.

     While I haven't tested this patch, I do want to say that I'd rather
     this be an optional/alternative install method while leaving people a
choice of
     using the old, tried-and-true shell.

Perhaps after you test it, you will be so impressed by it that you will resolve
never to use any other way of installing ever again?   Even if that is not the
case, I'd still be interested to hear your opinions after you have tried it.

     I'd also like to state that I hope this installer will make sure the user
has
     plenty of options available at each stage of the process and won't make the
     aforementioned mistake of assuming the end user's needs (unless there is
some
     technical reason that the distro simply can not do something, in which
case I'd
     hope the techinal limitation will be fixed instead of setting it in stone
by
     removing it entirely from the GUI installer).

As with all systems, one has to strike a balance between flexibility and ease of
use.   I too hope that the right balance has been acheived, but I am sure that
improvements can be made.  That is why I put out this call for testing.   Once
I have collected enough feedback from people who have tried it, I will decide
what changes need to be made.

And needless to say, others are welcome to send patches and/or commit to the
branch as appropriate.

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3