guix-devel

Re: Anomalies in Python search-path

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Anomalies in Python search-path
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 23:10:35 +0100

Maxim Cournoyer <address@hidden> skribis:

> After more testing, the Python search-path we form is always problematic
> for pip since the system site-packages will always appear in front of the
> user site location (~/.local/...).

You’re talking about the search path formed by ‘guix environment’,
right?

> My last reporting that pip was working correctly in non-environment was
> wrong because I had failed to logout/login after installing the python
> package; after doing so, the behavior is the same as in an environment:
> the user site location (~/.local/...) comes after site-packages rather
> than before, as would normally be the case. Apparently this is due to
> setting a site-packages location with the environment variable
> PYTHONPATH, which has precedence over the user site location.

~/.guix-profile/etc/profile prepends things to the search paths, but
it’s up to the user whether to source it before or after other
definitions have been provided (in .bash_profile or similar).

On GuixSD, for instance, my GUILE_LOAD_PATH has:

  ~/.local and similar entries
  then ~/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.0
  then /run/current-system/profile/share/guile/site/2.0

Ludo’.