guix-devel

Re: Encrypted root partition

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Encrypted root partition
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 13:07:52 +0100

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> I'm happy to report that I was successful in setting up an encrypted
>>> root file system on my Libreboot laptop.  I have to enter the passphrase
>>> twice, but that's no different from the normal case (without Libreboot).
>>> It took me multiple days to get it working, though, because each time I
>>> tried to run "guix system init", it took over 8 hours to finish!
>>
>> Woow, was it building stuff, or was downloading super slow?  Was is a
>> desktop-style install?
>
> It was a desktop-style install.  Many packages were built from source,
> even though some were downloaded via substitutes, also.  It was
> particularly painful because I didn't know how to save and re-use the
> result of the first build attempt, so I'm sure I wasted a lot of time
> starting over and rebuilding the same packages a second time.

There’s currently no option to resume an install unfortunately.

I’m surprised though.  0.12.0 binaries are still available on
hydra.gnu.org AFAIK, or at least we (i.e., Mark) took the appropriate
measures to protect them from garbage collection.

I guess I should try a desktop install and see which substitutes are
missing.

Ludo’.