guix-devel

Re: Mozilla help needed - 0ad, or: how to pass the version to mozjs-38?

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Mozilla help needed - 0ad, or: how to pass the version to mozjs-38?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 10:50:45 +0000

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> ng0 <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Maxim Cournoyer <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi ng0!
>>>
>>> Have you tried defining MOZJS_MAJOR_VERSION or MOZJS_MINOR_VERSION?
>>> These are the first errors. Fixing those might make the picture a bit
>>> prettier?
>>
>> It's not about pretty, it's about this being a terrible piece of
>> unstable, not 100% released software which is public available
>> and being bundled by some applications (for example 0ad) and you
>> either accept the bundle or unbundle it.
>
> You haven’t yet answered Maxim’s question.  The error you showed in your
> previous email is likely because these values are undefined.  Do you get
> different errors when these values are defined?

Okay, note to self: Do not assume that everyone can read between
the lines. That was a bad reply I gave to a question.
To answer: yes, I have tried to set this and other reasonable envs
(see
https://pagure.io/guix-dev/c/07c579fd3e7e0621ef0f323b6130c74fe5a09f62?branch=games%2F0ad
) and it had no effect.

> Are these values set by the build system at some point?  (Just grep the
> sources to see where these values are used.)

The values are used, but they are not changed/applied during the
build.
There's a Makefile, but everyone else (distros) is just skipping
that. I did so too, but I haven't documented the reason(s) for
myself. I will try running autotools and use this Makefile, to
document at least what it does.

--
♥Ⓐ  ng0 -- https://www.inventati.org/patternsinthechaos/