guix-devel

Re: install experience

From: Thomas Danckaert
Subject: Re: install experience
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 08:51:34 +0100 (CET)

From: address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 15:17:16 +0100

- When I tried to login as non-root user for the first time, my home directory was not there, and I was sent back to the login screen. I logged in as root and created/chown'ed the home directory myself.
   Unfortunately, I have no further information here, either.

Could it be that /home is a separate partition? There’s a bug waiting
to be fixed in this area: <https://bugs.gnu.org/21108>.

Yes, that looks like the same issued. Indeed, I noticed today that a /home/thomas directory got created on my root partition (I suppose it then somehow hidden when my home partition is mounted at /home).

Now, the system works fine, though I'll try to tweak it for better
touchpad support, graphics acceleration (I'm gnome3 is currently
unusable) and sharper fonts. Those things worked better when it was
running Ubuntu, though I suspect some of that was due to non-free
driver blobs etc.

If you find ways to tweak it, let us know how we can improve the default
settings.

Coming from Ubuntu, I don't have any experience fiddling with these things, but I'll do my best ;-)

Thomas