guix-devel

Re: GeoIP database redistribution? - Now dealing with very large

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: GeoIP database redistribution? - Now dealing with very large
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 06:50:17 +0000

files

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 10:54:26PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
> Just to note, I don't think Pjotr was referring to this particular
> package (geolite database). I just checked, and the City DB is 19.8MiB
> compressed and 104.1 MiB uncompressed. The Country DB is ~2MiB and the
> IPv6 databases are tiny.

Yes, sorry for being inaccurate. We would like to fetch large files as
part of a pipeline setup. Ideally a simple work flow can be a package
built on a local host - it should not go on the main build farm - but,
at this point, Guix does not allow using files from 'outside' the
build setup - which means we have to pull them in before build. It
may be interesting to have access to external data files during build
time.

Something to discuss at FOSDEM.

Pj.