guix-devel

Re: IcedTea 1 / OpenJDK 6 discontinued

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: IcedTea 1 / OpenJDK 6 discontinued
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 10:04:00 +0100

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 10:07:28PM -0500, Kei Kebreau wrote:
>> I agree with Marius's option 5. I don't see an immediate reason to
>> remove it, and we can build icedtea-7 using gcj.
>
> I actually hadn't noticed that icedtea-7 builds with icedtea-6. I
> thought it simply inherited from the package definition.

It does not.  Icedtea-7 builds with GCJ.

I see no problems with removing “icedtea-6” (after removing the
inheritance issues).  I would not like to wait for security advisories
to be published, because security vulnerabilities in Java are really
just a matter of time.  They may not even be reported in time because
hardly anyone uses that version any more.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net