guix-devel

Re: Debugging and source code

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Debugging and source code
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 14:22:48 +0100

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

> Since we allow for debug symbols using :debug (great feature!), can we
> also add the unpacked source tree to the package by default? Say in
> ~/.guix-profile/lib/debug/ or some place. Anyone who wants to debug
> has to fetch that anyway and that raises the problem of what source
> code to fetch.

You can always get the right source code by running “guix build -S
package”.

OTOH having the source directly in the “debug” (or “source”?) output as
you suggest would be more convenient.

The only downside is the extra size of the “debug” output.  Most of the
time that’s a price people are happy to pay when they are installing the
“debug” output.  But sometimes maybe not.

For example, I always have gcc-toolchain:debug, libgc:debug, and a few
others in my profile, “just in case.”  My goal is to have libc and libgc
symbols when I something goes wrong, but I typically already have
checkouts of these libraries elsewhere.  If the source was in the
“debug” output, I’d pay a pretty high cost (esp. for libc) that I could
have avoided.  Maybe this is a corner case, though.

What do people think?

Ludo’.