guix-devel

Re: A postinst equivalent in Guix?

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: A postinst equivalent in Guix?
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 14:42:41 +0100

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 02:15:12PM +0100, Ludovic Court??s wrote:
     Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:

     > Ludovic Court??s writes:
     >
     >> Georgi Kirilov <address@hidden> skribis:

     >>> The package is the old bsd-games bundle. Some of the games need to
     >>> write score files under /var/lib/bsdgames/
     >>> You can find attached my patch so far.
     >>
     >> The patch looks good to me!
     >>
     >> As for /var/lib/bsdgames, then it???s up to the admin to set the right
     >> permissions on it.  We can ensure that it exists and has the right
     >> permissions on GuixSD, but on foreign distros, there???s nothing we can
     >> do.
     >>
     >> We could also modify bsd-games such that it falls back to
     >> ~/.local/bsdgames when /var/lib/bsdgames isn???t accessible (and it
would
     >> be worth submitting upstream).  ISTR this was discussed for one of the
     >> games present in Guix.
     >>
     >> WDYT?
     >>
     >> Ludo???.
     >
     > I'm a bit wary about GuixSD packages declaring being able to write to
     > /var/ anything by default.  What would the permissions be?  I guess if
     > it were world-writable to all "users" group users it would be okayish.
     >
     > Note that KoboDeluxe includes a patch snarfed from Debian that comments
     > out the ability to save score files for this same reason, and it was
     > marked in Debian as a security patch IIRC...

     Yeah, I think scores in /var are a remnant of the past.  Unix just lacks
     a good way to address this use case.

     So it sounds best for games to use a score file under $HOME by default.

I always thought the unix way was rather nice.   The scores file was owned by
"games" and programs which wanted to write to them were setuid games.

That way everyone on the system shares the same scores file.

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3