guix-devel

Re: Debugging and source code

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Debugging and source code
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 09:58:38 +0100

On 2017-01-26 09:11, Chris Marusich wrote:
We have "guix build -S foo" which fetches the source.  It sounds like
you're suggesting that we remove this and replace it with a "source" (or
"debug-full") output for each package, so to get the source you would
run "guix build foo:source" instead.  Is my understanding correct?

Interesting idea (:source, not :debug-full)! Two minor points:

Won't that mean that the package has to be built to completion at least once, somewhere, to output its own :source? If so, adding special-case code to avoid that would not be a net win.

We'd also have to choose between keeping a misleading name, 'outputs', and a global bike-sed.

Kind regards,

T G-R

--
Sent from a web browser. Excuse/enjoy my brevity.