guix-devel

Re: Multiple python-3 packages

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: Multiple python-3 packages
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 18:34:56 +0100

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> writes:

> Currently we have Python 3.4 and 3.5. Python 3.6 was released recently.
>
> When we added 3.5, I thought it was a good idea to keep 3.4 around in
> case some packages need it. It turns out that nothing is using it in our
> tree.
>
> Do we want to keep 3.4 and 3.5 around? There is a maintenance cost
> incurred at each new release, because their shared patches tend to
> diverge each time.
>
> If we should keep them, how should the package inheritance go? Now, it's
> like this:
>
> 2.7 < 3.5 < 3.4
>
> If we kept them all, should 3.5 and 3.4 both inherit 3.6?

Hi Leo!

I think python 3.x releases should inherit from the latest indeed. That
way changes to lower 3.x releases are guaranteed not to affect the
newest one.

No preference for keeping older releases around either. Unless any
python folks wants to maintain them, I think they can be dropped.

Perhaps we can use python-3.6 as the basis for a new "python-updates"
branch?