guix-devel

Re: Fix the reducelcs license

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: Fix the reducelcs license
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 17:29:02 +0100

Kei Kebreau <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden writes:
>
>> If I am not wrong: When no "Version 3 only" is specified, it is always
>> "and later".
>
> Is there text in the GPL3 that says this? I was under the impression
> that the "or any later version" clause had to be specified
> explicitly. It doesn't help that there aren't any file headers to clear
> this up.

My understanding is that downstream users are free to use the "or later"
clause if nothing else is specified. Say, if you copy parts of GPL3 code
with no "or later" headers into your GPL3+ code.

So distros need to distinguish the cases that are explicitly not "or any
later version", but not impose other restrictions on the users.

If that makes sense. But IANAL etc..