guix-devel

Re: [Install guix packages to non-default]: Unable to build derivation h

From: rohit yadav
Subject: Re: [Install guix packages to non-default]: Unable to build derivation hello
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 15:08:56 -0600

I apologize for the missing link. Here it is:

https://github.com/UMCUGenetics/guix-additions/blob/master/doc/Deployment.md#restricted-environment-installation

At this moment, I have been able to get nix to work with the same technique as mentioned in the above mentioned article. However, I really want to use guix if possible.

Thanks,
Rohit

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 2:46 PM, Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:

rohit yadav <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install guix packages to a non-default location to benefit
> from guix on machines with no root privileges. Following the below
> mentioned article,

Could you point us to article you followed?  I couldn’t find it in your
message.

> I am able to install guix and run guix-daemon configured
> to a non-default location. However, when I trying to install even a basic
> hello package, the guix goes on to install large number of derivations. And
> fails while trying to pull linux-libre (why is this needed for hello
> package?).

Derivations are not packages.  The derivation for “hello” says that it
needs /gnu/store/…-linux-libre-headers-4.4.18.drv, which in turn says
that it needs the derivation to download the linux-libre tarball.

(I’m still traveling, so I cannot check the tarballs right now.)

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net