guix-devel

Re: GuixSD on commodity hosting platforms, hoster: IN-Berlin

From: ng0
Subject: Re: GuixSD on commodity hosting platforms, hoster: IN-Berlin
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 22:59:51 +0000

On 17-02-10 22:48:34, ng0 wrote:
> On 17-02-09 21:38:27, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> > ng0 writes:
> >
> > > It turns out that it could be as simple as providing them with the raw
> > > disk image, so I will give it a try soon.
> >
> > Can you share the config.scm of that?
>
> What do you mean? I will just test generally if it works on their
> infrastructure. Afterwards I will set up some services for myself to
> have something to test the server side of things I build and package.
> There will be no public config to share, only at some point afterwards
> when I decide to share a stripped down config or set of configs.
>
> In the long run it would be nice if IN-Berlin could offer GuixSD in
> addition to Debian, but as we all know, there's a reason for the "beta"
> and until it's marked as beta I won't get to this point of discussion.
> Just a general check if it works. The way it works for the current
> Debian setup, asking for GuixSD would be no problem. No problem with a
> raw image, so for them it won't matter if there'll be an .iso later on.
>
> I used IN-Berlin before, started when I offered OpenNIC resolvers and a
> tor-relay, and more afterwards. For users based in Germany I can
> recommend it. I say Germany, because I have no idea if their registry
> system would work well for anyone not living in Germany, I don't even
> know about Austria. In case anyone is interested, asking via email will
> resolve questions.
>

> > > Is anyone interested in the documentation or success of this experiment?
> >
> > On the future of Guix-panel it was said (by Ludo'?) that getting GuixSD
> > on a mainstream hosting platform was very good to have.

Adding to the last reply: I think with mainstream platform something
like AWS and some other cloud server solutions were targeted. My idea is
just IN-Berlin, afterwards I'm done with the topic for myself for now,
I have no intention to push this any further.

--
ng0 -- https://www.inventati.org/patternsinthechaos/