guix-devel

Re: GuixSD on commodity hosting platforms, hoster: IN-Berlin

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: GuixSD on commodity hosting platforms, hoster: IN-Berlin
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 16:47:17 -0500

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 06:36:09PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
> today I had a short message exchange with the hoster "IN-Berlin"[0], a
> non-commercial group predating the widespread access of internet in
> Germany.
>
> It turns out that it could be as simple as providing them with the raw
> disk image, so I will give it a try soon.

A few months ago I had a brief discussion with a representative of
<https://serveraptor.com> about offering GuixSD there.

They said that could accept a bootable ISO or qcow2 image.

So, we could give them the 0.12.0 GuixSD installer image, after
converting it to the qcow2 format.

I used the following command to convert the installer to qcow2:

$ xz -d guixsd-usb-install-0.12.0.x86_64-linux.xz \
&& qemu-img convert -O qcow2 guixsd-usb-install-0.12.0.x86_64-linux \
guixsd-usb-install-0.12.0.x86_64-linux.qcow2

The results are available at
<https://famulari.name/a2249a95c83f60bc75efe89b6fe4f01d/>.

I'd like for someone to try this conversion themself and verify that it
creates the same qcow2 file.

If it does, then we can ask Serveraptor to make it available for testing
on their platform.

What do you think?