guix-devel

Re: Ideas for Summer of Code 2017

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Ideas for Summer of Code 2017
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 17:25:16 +0100

ng0 <address@hidden> skribis:

> On 17-02-14 10:10:55, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>> > One interesting change from when this was defined last year and this
>> > year is that the "extensible event loop" one has some candidates to pick
>> > from, via guile a-sync, fibers, and 8sync.
>> >
>> > However using any of those would require Shepherd being pinned to Guile
>> > 2.2.  Maybe not a problem; it could be a branch, and Guile 2.2 stable
>> > looks not so far away.
>>
>> Yes, I think it’d be reasonable to have Shepherd rely on 2.2.
>>
>> In fact, we should start moving all of our infrastructure to 2.2.  There
>> are still a couple of issues to be addressed I think, but now’s the time
>> to explore.
>>
>> Ludo’.
>>

> Could that be a project as well, to move the guile parts to 2.2 or is
> this too lowkey and too little for GSoC?

Ideally, there won’t be much to do to switch to 2.2.  :-)

Guix itself builds with 2.2, albeit slowly at the moment.  We’d need to
routinely use 2.1 to see if there other issues.

Of all the dependencies of Guix, I think only Guile-SSH needs “porting”
to 2.2, but even that should not be too much work.

So it’s mostly about ironing things out and making sure we can
transition smoothly enough, rather than a development project of its
own.

Ludo’.