guix-devel

Re: GuixSD on commodity hosting platforms, hoster: IN-Berlin

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: GuixSD on commodity hosting platforms, hoster: IN-Berlin
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 11:42:14 -0500

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:24:57AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Leo Famulari <address@hidden> skribis:
> > I'd like for someone to try this conversion themself and verify that it
> > creates the same qcow2 file.
>
> The image itself is most likely not bit-reproducible, if that’s what you
> mean (non-reproducible packages, uncontrolled file system layout, etc.)

I meant that I'd like someone to try downloading the official 0.12.0
x86_64-linux installer image that Ricardo released and attempt the
image format conversion.

If they get the same result, then it removes me from the chain of people
that Serveraptor users have to trust. Instead, they'd trust Serveraptor
to offer them the same image that I'm providing from my site.

> > If it does, then we can ask Serveraptor to make it available for testing
> > on their platform.
>
> That would be great!
>
> For these use cases, I wonder if it makes sense to provide the
> installation image.  Wouldn’t it be more convenient if we provided, say,
> the “bare-bones” image or a variant thereof?  That way, as a user, you
> could directly use it as-is, or just run ‘reconfigure’ in it.

Okay, I'll wait a bit for someone to try to the conversion. At the same
time, I'll ask Serveraptor what makes more sense for their platform.