guix-devel

Re: Archive authentication & ‘guix challenge’

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Archive authentication & ‘guix challenge’
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 09:43:03 -0800

Hi George and Ludovic,

[...]
> ‘guix pull’ preserves your (guix config) module.  So if the ‘guix’ you
> run was configured to use /etc, it’ll keep using that; if it was
> configured to use /usr/local/etc, it’ll keep using that.
>
> If you run “./pre-inst-env guix pull”, then you end up using (guix
> config) from your build tree, which is configured to use /usr/local/etc
> by default.  That’s probably what happened, no?

I ran guix pull initially (before starting to use a git checkout). And
I remember mistakenly running "guix pull" from my guix checkout, which
if I followed your explanation would have caused (guix config) to point
to /usr/local/etc. So that seems like a plausible explication! I guess
in the newer Guix releases the default path has been fixed (to /etc)?

> To fix it, you can either run:
>
>   rm -f ~/.config/guix/latest && guix pull
>
> or just do:
>
>   ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc

I ran ./configure --localstatedir=/var --sysconfig=/etc && make, and I
can now confirm that it fixed it:

guile -c "(use-modules (guix config)) (pk %config-directory)"
;;; ("/etc/guix")

I also checked that:

sudo guix archive --authorize < bayfront.guixsd.org.pub

Produced an entry in /etc/guix/acl.

George, as an alternative, you might be interested in declaring the extra
key in your system's config.scm file [0].

Thanks for the help, Ludovic!

Maxim

[0] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-01/msg01746.html