guix-devel

Re: Icecat crash

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Icecat crash
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 23:12:45 +0100

On Sun, 25 Dec 2016 21:15:19 -0500
Leo Famulari <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 05:47:33PM -0800, Chris Marusich wrote:
> > Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> writes:
> > > so I've finally found a 100% reproducible way to crash icecat.
> > > Previously it has been sporadic and not reproducible.
> > >
> > > Try going to this site in a new icecat (guix master) instance:
> > >
> > > http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/12/this-low-cost-device-may-be-the-worlds-best-hope-against-account-takeovers/
> > >
> > > Scroll down. It will crash. Every time.
> >
> > This doesn't crash for me.  Note that I have applied the "fix" for
> > the previously observed "crashiness", as described here - perhaps
> > that is why it doesn't crash for me:
> >
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2016-11/msg00008.html
>
> Unfortunately for debugging purposes, this doesn't crash Icecat for me
> either. I'm still using the Cairo rendering backend.
>
> It's difficult to use a site like this as a reproducer, since every
> user will get totally different content via the advertisements.
>
> For the record, it also does not crash my Debian Firefox 45.5.1, which
> uses uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger to block 1 and 9 domains,
> respectively.
>
> If you can still reproduce the crash, I think it's worth it to save
> the entire web page, ads included, and share that if you're satisfied
> there's no sensitive data included.

Hey, I'm also experiencing crashes with icecat since a few months. It
just seems to happen randomly. I've found a note about that on the LFS
website on the firefox page that says that using system cairo is
causing a crash when it tries to do background rendering. So I've
changed our icecat recipe to use the bundled version of cairo, and I
don't get any crash anymore. Would something like this patch be
acceptable?