guix-devel

Re: Leaving the guix project

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Leaving the guix project
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:24:05 +0300

David Craven (2017-02-16 01:14 +0100) wrote:

> Hello guixers!

Hello David, thank you very much for all the great work you did for
Guix!

> I am very grateful for all the things I could learn during my time
> here and all the awesome work that you guys put in.
>
> But I wish to leave the guix project and that my savannah account be
> removed. This is not a decision I make lightly. The reason why I
> decided it was time to move on is because I do not wish to be part of
> GNU or the FSF.

As I see it, contributing to Guix doesn't make you a part of GNU or FSF.

> I believe that the reason why free software is better and will always
> be better than non-free software, is because of all the love and care
> that we put in. It's about building cool and awesome stuff. I think
> that this is the reason free software has become a viable alternative
> to non-free software.

I think the same!

> I also believe that the gnu project has moved away from those core
> values and focuses instead on petitioning websites and hardware
> manufacturers to release work they have invested a lot of money in
> developing, often in very pushy and uncivil ways. Even if they
> succeed, I do not really care about this expensive, rushed to market
> and badly engineered code. I believe that the free software community
> can do much better on it's own.

I don't understand how these concerns relate to Guix.  I look at Guix as
at a software project, and I simply don't participate in the general
GNU/FSF discussions that raises in guix-devel list sometimes.

> I hope you can understand and respect my decision.

I don't really understand it, but I respect your decision.  You are free
to do what seems appropriate to you.  Thanks!

--
Alex