guix-devel

Re: ANNOUNCE: Guix on Aarch64 !!

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Guix on Aarch64 !!
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 15:41:29 +0100

Great work!

I'm looking forward to trying it.

J'
On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 04:32:18PM +0200, Efraim Flashner wrote:
     Its my pleasure to announce that guix now has all the code necessary to
     support aarch64! Currently support is limited to the core-updates
     branch, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem, since currently
     everything needs to be built from source.

     For those interested in the numbers, I built (at least) 13 copies of the
     bootstrap binaries while attempting to pin down bugs. I'm using an
     Odroid-C2 with Debian as a base and a 32GB SD card. After supplying
     dependencies and running bootstrap and configure, make takes about 25
     minutes. It takes almost 16 hours, starting from an empty store, to
     build all the way to hello. The board has a base of 2GB of RAM, about
     256 MB of which is used for graphics, but I somehow managed to enable zram,
     which I'm guessing helped.

     In my quest for alternative architectures I'm considering converting one
     of my old macbooks to the x32 pseudo-arch and seeing if I can get guix
     working there too.

     --
     Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   ?????????? ??????????

Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3