guix-devel

Re: Memory Usage

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Memory Usage
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 13:58:02 +0100

On 02/24/2017 09:08 AM, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
> Hi Rodger!
>
> Rodger Fox <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> What is the typical memory usage of a GuixSD system?
>> I can't seem to get mine below 5GiB, according to top.
>
> Ugh. This with a full blown Gnome desktop?
>
>> This is when I stop Xorg and most system services, including
>> networking and such, and just log in to a plain terminal with nothing
>> but top running. Is this normal?
>
> It doesn't sound normal to me. I'd expect Gnome to boot with about 1 GiB
> RAM usage.
>
>> The numbers listed per process in top don't even add up to that, but
>> it reports the total being high. Also, icecat uses a 1000m and
>> gnome-terminal uses 500m.
>
> Depends how many tabs you have opened but yes, IceCat/Firefox/Any
> browser are very memory hungry.
>
>> This seems wrong to me, but I'm not sure. In my session right now it
>> is reporting over 14GiB of memory use. I don't know why it should be
>> so high.
>>

> Using the minimal desktop environment (ratpoison) with GuixSD I'm
> booting with RAM usage of about 100 MiB.
>
> Maxim

Full-blown GNOME Desktop shows in GNOME System Monitor as consuming <390
MiB of RAM. Opening the arstechica.com Web site in netsurf-gtk makes for
a total of <490 MiB.

Note that top can distinguish between „readily reclaimable“ memory and
memory that is not „readily reclaimable“, which AFAIK is what is
actually important. See the top man page.

Regards,
Florian