guix-devel

Re: gnu-patches back log

From: Thomas Danckaert
Subject: Re: gnu-patches back log
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2017 13:48:55 +0100 (CET)

From: Pjotr Prins <address@hidden>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 11:17:15 +0000

This is the first thing I am trying :). The main difference with the
existing approach is that I want to have more engagement from fresh
contributors who can also peer review. Review is an excellent way of
learning. How exactly we are going to do this is not clear yet. But
that is what I am thinking.

Speaking for myself as a new/beginning contributor: there is a finite amount of time I can (want to) spend on Guix, and a large number of things I want to fix/improve/experiment for myself. I now try to review some patches occasionally, but of course that takes away from the time I have to work on the issues I care most about myself. (And for other contributors: time that cannot be spent on the many other important things that need to be done.)

I understand that in the long term, time spent supporting new contributors (i.e. helping the community grow) will probably benefit Guix (and therefore also me) more than trying to do everything myself, but it takes some effort to adopt this mindset.

Meanwhile I want to know what limits people actually have. I think 2
weeks is not acceptable (but that should be obvious).

Of course this is personal, but for me it is acceptable. I assume that, when a patch is good, it will eventually make it in, and accept that, sometimes, I have to be patient (of course faster is always better). I see a lot of dedication and effort from everybody here, and accept that a patch I submit might not be on the top of anyone's priority list.

So, I hear your call to slightly reconsider priorities for my Guix-time, and try to spend more time mentoring (and will try to do that, as far as I can :) ), but also think contributors should assume everybody here is doing their best, and have some patience.

Thomas