guix-devel

Re: gnu-patches back log

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: gnu-patches back log
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 14:45:51 +0000

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 08:14:48AM -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
> Try running `git log --format=full` to see who is actually pushing
> commits. It's a significantly more diverse group than just Ricardo and
> Ludo.

Sure, I know that.

> I'm sure that everyone would like for patches to be handled within two
> weeks, 3 days, etc. But, what operating system distribution actually
> does that? Guix is already one of the most accessible distributions for
> new contributors. Many of us are *at the limit* of what we can do for
> Guix.

> Describing our efforts as "embarrassing" (which you've done more than
> once) is demotivating. Please try something else.

Just to make sure no one misunderstands me. We are *all* spread thin
and busy - it is the nature of our respective jobs. I may look like I
have too much time (point taken), but that is not true. It is all
about priorities. We have about 5K packages in Guix - still some 15K
to go, I believe. It may happen automatically (Guix is a successful
project already), but sometimes we can do even better.

> By the way, I know that at least several of us give special attention to
> patches from new contributors. We are aware of the effects of speedy (or
> slow) review.

I have no doubt.

> Plus, I almost never hear anyone talk about all the other important
> "boring" work that goes into the distribution: Package maintenance,
> security updates and vulnerability review, and bug triage. These are the
> other tasks we must balance against patch review. And after that, we can
> actually work on features and refactoring.

Leo, I am just discussing because it may help improve things. I am not
disputing the work we want to do and have to do.

> And yet, I don't badger anyone to do more of that work, because I think
> that would actually make them *less interested* in doing it. If they
> skim the commit log and mailing lists, they'll know these tasks exist.

OK. I was not planning to badger ;). Sometimes describing a problem
can be valuable.  Feel free to ignore.  We all have different itches
to scratch.  I'll shut up again.

Pj.