guix-devel

Re: Unrar package might contain proprietary code.

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Unrar package might contain proprietary code.
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 07:13:02 +0100

Also pertinent:

This program is listed in https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Unrar-free

J'

On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 06:54:24AM +0100, John Darrington wrote:
     I don't have any strong opinions here.  But if somebody feels that we
really cannot
     have this program in Guix, then go ahead and revert it.

     In the meantime I will try to contact the authors and ask for
clarification.  However
     since the project has been inactive for the last 13 years, I don't hold
too much
     hope of getting a reply.

     J'

     On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 10:19:59PM +0100, Cl??ment Lassieur wrote:
          >> Like you say, the authors have taken GPL code from another project
and incorporated
          >> it into unrar - that is only possible if the the resultant work is
GPL compatible.

          > Or if the resultant work is illegal?

          Actually, unrarlib is dual-licensed, so it is possible to use it
within
          a proprietary program (see http://www.unrarlib.org/license.html).

          But I'll trust you that COPYING is enough :)  Sorry for bothering you
          then.

     --
     Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
     PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3