guix-devel

Re: documentation/behavior unclear of (tor-hidden-service)

From: ng0
Subject: Re: documentation/behavior unclear of (tor-hidden-service)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2017 16:21:26 +0000

On 17-03-04 15:59:16, ng0 wrote:
> I have a question regarding the (tor-hidden-service) service.
>
> When I have an previously generated hostname, let's call it
> "fooschnickens1234.onion" for the purpose of this message, my approach
> on a system like Gentoo was to manually place the hostname and
> private-key into the /var/lib/tor/hidden-services/$name-i-gave-in-torrc
> folder and change the permissions afterwards.
>
> Now this service is unclear about wether it would overwrite the files I
> have when the new system generation is done building (reconfigure).
>
> It would be good to know wether the files can be copied into place in
> advance or if one has to wait to replace it afterwards.

Okay, be your own testpilot:
A quick 'guix system build config.scm' and before reconfiguring
inserting my values into the then new generated
/var/lib/tor/hidden-services/foo/ and the files in there, then running
reconfigure, rebooting and I can connect to my hostname(s).

moving on, this could be improved:
In case one aims for keeping the config public this is a bad idea but
what about creating the hostname + private_key in $name as plain-file?
Would this be overwritten by (tor-hidden-service) or would this just be
bad practice but "whatever works for you"?