guix-devel

Re: ANNOUNCE: Guix on Aarch64 !!

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Guix on Aarch64 !!
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 10:19:24 +0000

On March 6, 2017 11:57:44 AM GMT+02:00, address@hidden wrote:
>Hello!
>
>Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Its my pleasure to announce that guix now has all the code necessary
>> support aarch64! Currently support is limited to the core-updates
>> branch, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem, since currently
>> everything needs to be built from source.
>
>Woohoo!  \o/
>
>Congratulations and a big thank you for all the tireless work!
>
>Let us know if there are still pending patches or anything that needs
>be addressed.
>
>It would be great if you could start looking for an aarch64 machine to
>plug into Hydra, or maybe start with a VM.
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Cheers,
>Ludo’.

The odroid-c2 is under $50, I've been using that. Can be powered from the USB
flashing port, comes with 4 USB ports, Ethernet and a micro-SD card slot. It
does come with 2GB of RAM, some of which is lost to video, but I've had zram
enabled and didn't run into any problems until I tried to build boost, which
needed more than the 1GB of swap I had. 4xA53 isn't the fastest, but I'm pretty
sure its the cheapest option for the RAM. Downside is that it isn't quite yet
supported by mainline kernel but there are people actively working on it.

Firefly has a couple of boards with 4 GB of RAM but they're closer to $200
each. I have one ordered to see how that goes.