guix-devel

Re: documentation/behavior unclear of (tor-hidden-service)

From: ng0
Subject: Re: documentation/behavior unclear of (tor-hidden-service)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 18:00:30 +0000

On 17-03-06 08:19:00, address@hidden wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 12:08:20 +0000
> ng0 <address@hidden> wrote:>
> > Maybe someone else can try and implement this, I only know what'S
> > needed for running the relay but can't do it at the moment ;)
>
> Just for reference sake:
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-relay.html.en
>
> What is the policy on creating/modifying firewalls? Would any relay
> service be allowed to automatically reconfigure the firewall to allow
> a relay to run? Does the sysadmin have to configure it theirself
> (English really needs gender-neutral pronouns.)? Does anything else in

themselves, there are gender neutral pronouns in english.

> GuixSD modify the firewall at this point?

No, there are no services for iptables or nftables at this point. And
from my experience they are not needed for a relay. Okay, they would be
useful to increase security and to see how how Chinese government
officials and their automated services want to get into your server, but
it's not really necessary for the relay.
The relays are just some definitions in the torrc, and that's it.

I would only ask people who currently or previously ran a tor relay,
maybe even with Guix/GuixSD, to work on this. You can't break anything,
but to test it would be good. Which is something I can't do currently.