guix-devel

Re: Leaving the guix project

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Leaving the guix project
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 11:57:31 +0000

Ludovic Courtès transcribed 1.6K bytes:
[…]
> Perhaps you take hardware support in GNU/Linux for granted.  When I
> started using GNU/Linux, things like sound support or graphics mode
> support or webcams would often be missing—things were a lot more
> difficult in practice.  It’s the dedicated work of volunteers that
> brought us drivers for all this.

I remember the struggle of getting wifi to work on Zenwalk with no
easy internet access to search for what works and what doesn't, and the
support was super limited in the late 90s / early 2000s.
What we have in 2017 is a mountain of resources, yet I still hope for
intel to become supported out of the box in -libre, some support for AC
wifi, etc.

I like your decision to work closer on hardware, David. If I had the
personal resources for it, I'd work my way towards it aswell.
I wish you all the best for your new efforts and projects, maybe our
paths cross again in this small world of hacking.

[…]