guix-devel

Re: 02/05: gnu: nss, nss-certs: Update to 3.29.3.

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: 02/05: gnu: nss, nss-certs: Update to 3.29.3.
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 17:02:12 -0400

Marius Bakke <address@hidden> writes:

> I have built this without trouble on two different x86_64 systems. The
> release notes[0] lists a single entry[1] which looks innocuous[2], so I
> doubt the failure is related to the upgrade.
>
> I can't find the build log of the first run,

When restarting builds on Hydra, the log for the first build attempt is
lost.  However, I'm in the habit of making private copies of these logs
before restarting jobs, so I have a copy of both.

> but note how in the second failure the test took more than five seconds:
>
> [  FAILED  ]
> ExtensionPre13Datagram/TlsExtensionTestPre13.AlpnReturnedBadNameLength/0,
> where GetParam() = ("TLS", 770) (5543 ms)
> (from https://hydra.gnu.org/build/1905330/nixlog/6/raw )
>
> This is reminiscent of the trouble we had getting 3.29.2 to build on
> armhf[3]. Something caused the build to stall for a few seconds, which
> in turn makes the test fail due to exceeding time treshold.

The nss-3.29.3 build on armhf also failed:

  https://hydra.gnu.org/build/1906025

> Can you try restarting the build once more?

This is not really sustainable.  A single build attempt takes 7 hours on
armhf, and about 40 hours on mips.  When the failure occurs, it causes
hundreds of other dependency failures, which must be restarted manually,
one at a time, via the web interface.  (We have a way to restart *all*
dependency failures, but that results in a huge amount of wasted work
for Hydra).

We need test suites to be robust on heavily loaded build machines.

Is there a compelling reason not to revert this update for now?

      Mark