guix-devel

Re: guix is the guildhall that we always wanted!

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: guix is the guildhall that we always wanted!
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 09:23:00 +0100

On Thu 16 Mar 2017 20:26, Amirouche Boubekki <address@hidden> writes:

>> So!  My proposal for this new "guildhall" would be:
>>
>>     1. a web service
>>

> What would be the cli interface associated with that web service?
> Some thing like the following will do:
>
>   $ guildhall register

So I think we could re-use the "guild" command; see the original
"guildhall" on how this is done.  I dunno though, maybe that's not
desireable.  If it's not, maybe guildhall isn't the right name?  I don't
know.

>     Register a package against the guildhall repository.
>     You must have a package.scm in the current working
>     directory that follows package specification of guix.
>     http://link/to/guix/doc/that/I/dont/know

I think you would have to specify a git repo and it would have to be
public, I think.  (Should the web service mirror the repo?  I don't
know.)

> Does it require login/password?

Yes I think.  Or at least email/token, where the service sends you the
token to your email address.  Dunno.  We could use GPG but that is
complicated too.

>>     2. on which users registers projects
>>
>>     3. a project is a name + a git repository with a /package.scm file
>
> We can have that using guile-git: current commit + remote origin.

Yes :)

>>     4. the package.scm contains Guix package definitions for that
>> project
>>
>>     5. the web service administers a git repository collecting those
>>        packages
>>        - without any hydra.gnu.org overhead
>
> What do you mean, by no hydra.gnu.org overhead? Where are
> done the 'guix pack' command?

I mean that when a package is part of Guix it becomes part of Guix's
continuous integration and build process, and Hydra will build it all
the time, and it's a burden of sorts onto Guix.  A value as well of
course but a burden too.  So what I am saying here is that we avoid
that.

>>        - without any manual checks
>>        - in a form that you can just check out once and add to
>> GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH
>>

> Ok, the 'guix pack' can be done by the maintainer and
> 'guix register' does upload the lz file to guildhall
> website.

"Guix pack" is orthogonal to this; it's just a nice way to deliver
software.  But for registering a package with the guildhall and its
dependencies and arranging that you can just "git pull" the guildhall
git repo which contains all the package.scm files in the guildhall --
that's what I mean.

>> But!  Who is going to build the guildhall v2.2? :-)
>
> idk ;)

:)

Andy