guix-devel

Re: guix is the guildhall that we always wanted!

From: Florian Paul Schmidt
Subject: Re: guix is the guildhall that we always wanted!
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 10:01:40 +0100

On 03/16/2017 11:24 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
I think having repos maintained elsewhere is OKish, but it’s true that
it requires people who maintain those repos to follow closely what’s
going on in Guix proper because we’re not guaranteeing API stability.

Wouldn't taking the functional/reproducibility aspect one step further migitate this issue? I.e. maintainers of decentralized repos just need to have as input the precise guix version they are using?

For me using guix as a function to produce a piece of software just gains another argument: the guix version. If ignoring all the gory details and forgiving my ignorance is

guix-build: guix-version -> package-spec (+closure) -> binaries

applied to a particular guix-version gives

guix-build(guix-version): package (+closure) -> binaries

(It's "just" currying)

This of course introduces the problem of possibly having separate guix versions on a single system, possibly sharing a store, but it's an entertaining thought nonetheless, no?

Flo

--
https://fps.io