guix-devel

Re: grammar usage

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: grammar usage
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 12:28:16 +0100

Hi,

I agree that we need to drop this subject.  This will be my last mail in
this thread as well.

On Fri 17 Mar 2017 12:12, John Darrington <address@hidden> writes:

> Sometime ago, due to a misunderstanding I received a series of emails
> addressing me as Frau Darrington.  I did not feel offended or insulted
> at all, and I cannot imagine anyone would feel that way.

I understand you feel this way, however to others the effect is
important.  To trans and non-binary people, being at the receiving end
of a stream of misgenderings (intentional or not) is a constant
irritation, reminding them that they are not welcome in that part of the
world.  We want Guix to be welcoming to everyone, so we should be
attentive to hints about what pronoun people would like others to use
when referring to them.

> Why is it only advocacy of *my* opinion which is unwelcome whereas
> that of others is perfectly acceptable?  I feel that I am being
> victimised here.

To create a welcoming environment for more people and especially people
who are marginalized, we must make some behaviors unwelcome.  In this
case, advocating this opinion of what is correct English contributes to
the marginalization of trans and non-binary people, and for that reason
I think it is appropriate for the Guix project to discourage this
behavior in its spaces.

Andy