guix-devel

Re: Introducing ‘guix pack’

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Introducing ‘guix pack’
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 00:49:48 +0100

address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> Hello Guix!  Hello 2.2 Guilers!
>
> address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:
>
>> I’d like to move support for Docker (currently in ‘guix archive’) to
>> this new command because I think it’s more appropriate: ‘guix archive’
>> is supposed to be rather low-level so it would not create a profile, for
>> instance.
>
> As of right now, ‘guix pack’ can create Docker image (‘guix archive’
> can no longer do that):
>
>   guix pack guile-next -S /opt/guile-2.2.0= -f docker

And now you can do:

  guix pack grep --target=i686-w64-mingw32

or:

  guix pack address@hidden --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf -f docker

Granted, this is not optimal space-wise because cross-compiled binaries
end up pulling the whole cross toolchain (due to cross-gcc not having a
separate “lib” output), so for instance the cross-built grep tarball
above weighs in at 91 MiB (330 MiB uncompressed :-)).  We’ll fix that.

Anyway, pretty cool!

Ludo’.