guix-devel

Being excellent to one another

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Being excellent to one another
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 14:43:20 +0100

Hi there,

Gentlefolks, please everyone calm down.  Being rude or insulting to
fellow hackers is not acceptable on the project’s communication
channels, period.  When you feel unable to express your disagreement in
a constructive and respectful manner, please delay your reply until you
can do that.

We added to the contribution guidelines in the manual a while back an
item about using gender-neutral wording in our documentation.  We’ll do
that because I believe it’s one of the modest ways in which we can help
fight gender bias in our domain, and because it’s a tiny effort and
leads to “valid” understandable English (there’s lots of documentation
about the origins of singular they, BTW.)

Besides, while I appreciate it when native English speakers provide
corrections and guidance, I think we as a project must tolerate English
mistakes in our communication.  The reason for this is very simple: most
contributors are not native English speakers.  English is our
communication medium; it shouldn’t be a hindrance to the inclusion of
contributors who do not master it.

Happy hacking!

Ludo’.