guix-devel

Re: Install hook

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Install hook
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 13:14:44 +0100

I think install hooks are scripts run after each package installation,
that are provided by the package itself. We already have a similar
mechanism that takes place when building the user's profile. See
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/profiles.scm.
For instance, we build a icon-theme.cache cache file for every icon
theme in the user's profile.

I have seen references to gschemas.compiled in our
gtk-or-glib-build-system. Currently we build the file in each package,
which means that only one version will be present in the user's profile
if they install more that one package containing this file. I believe
gschemas.compiled contains important information about some graphical
packages, and in our current system, only one package can be referenced
that way.

I think we should make sure that this file is never present in the
output of a package, and add a function to build it in profiles.scm.

Does it make any sense?