guix-devel

Re: GuixSD download options

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GuixSD download options
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 17:37:36 +0100

Hi,

address@hidden skribis:

> since the installation process is quite manual, takes long and ends in a
> VM image for users who don't want to replace their current system, I
> think there should be at least an option to download a tar file with the
> content of a preconfigured root file system.

The installation image is actually a full-blown GuixSD.  You can run
‘guix package’ in it, etc.

Granted, you’re probably looking for something more directly usable,
with Xorg and stuff.  We could publish such an image; the problem then
becomes disk space on the gnu.org servers.  ;-)

That said, it’s easy to build one for you even if you don’t run GuixSD:
you can install Guix on your distro, whichever it is, and from there use
‘guix system vm’ to build a GuixSD image.

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Invoking-guix-system.html

Would that be helpful?

Ludo’.