guix-devel

Re: Advice about GuixSD on Serveraptor?

From: Thomas Danckaert
Subject: Re: Advice about GuixSD on Serveraptor?
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 08:36:19 +0100 (CET)

From: Leo Famulari <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 16:53:35 -0400

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 04:46:20PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
So what I'm doing here is trying to provide Serveraptor with a GuixSD
image that they'd offer to users.

People could regenerate the image themselves, but it would be difficult
to verify that it matches what is offered by Serveraptor.

And to clarify my previous question: Should this QEMU image be created by me, or should it be created by a Guix maintainer as part of the Guix
release process?

Hi,

to add my 2 cents: I think it would be fine if you provided the image, if you are confident that it works.

When GuixSD becomes widely available on various hosting providers, the Guix maintainers cannot provide all those images (or guarantee their correctness) anyway (I imagine that typically an employee of such a service would create the image?). Even now, when you provide an image to Serveraptor, you have no way to verify if Serveraptor provides the same image to their users (I think?).

Once Serveraptor provides the image you created (or any other GuixSD image) to its users, the responsibility lies with them. Serveraptor's users will have to trust Serveraptor (and, if they use your image, Serveraptor has to trust you, but it sounds like they already do :-) ).

Thomas